ANIME FRONTIER 2020 MASQUERADE
Anime Frontier Powered By Crunchyroll loves cosplay! Whether you pulled a Team Instinct cap from your closet or spent months making a perfect Yuri!!! On Ice free skate costume, we want to shine a spotlight on you!
On Sunday at Anime Frontier, cosplay takes over our Main Stage with our Masquerade! Compete for craftsmanship prizes as a walk-on – or an individual or group skit for the chance to win prizes for craftsmanship, showmanship, and of course fame, honor, and glory!
Registration for the 2020 Masquerade is open until March 20! All applicants will hear back by April 10!
The Anime Frontier Masquerade will take place on Sunday, May 10 at 2 PM on our Main Stage ALL MASQUERADE ENTRANTS MUST PRE-REGISTER. THERE IS NO ONSITE REGISTRATION.
Costumes spanning the worlds of anime, manga, video games, musicals, books, and even comics and movies are all eligible for entry (original characters, too), but please note costumes must comply with Anime Frontier’s Cosplay and Weapons Policies.
There are two ways to compete…
- WALK ON – If competing as a Walk On, contestants will go on stage individually (or together if part of a group), exhibit two to three poses as our emcee reads the entrant’s costume description, and then exit. If you are doing a Walk On, you are automatically in the Craftsmanship competition and need to attend pre-judging in order to walk on stage.
- PERFORMANCE – If competing with a Performance, contestants will go on stage, perform their skit, and then exit. Performance entries do not need to be part of Craftsmanship judging.
The competition is split into four categories…
- Beginner – Anyone who has never won a major costume contest award.
- Intermediate – Anyone who has won between one to three major awards.
- Advanced – Anyone who has won four or more major awards.
- Kids – Anyone 13-years-old or younger.
You are welcome to compete at a higher level should you want to. Professional costumers may only compete at the Advanced level. If entering as a group, your category is determined by the most experienced member of your group. If entering as a group with anyone 13-years-old or younger, please compete in the Kids category.
Please note that group entries are judged as a group overall. Individuals in the group are not judged on an individual basis.
Best Craftsmanship and Best Performance will be awarded for each of the Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced categories – as well as personal Judges’ Awards and an overall Best In Show. Special Kids Prizes will also be awarded.
Any costume is eligible to compete on stage in performance, but only costumes that are at least 75% created by hand are eligible for Craftsmanship awards – with Craftsmanship Judging taking place prior to the Masquerade. If you are taking part in Craftsmanship Judging, you will be given a time to check-in up to four hours before the contest begins during which time our judges will meet with you to review your costume.
All participants will be required to attend a mandatory rehearsal before the Masquerade where you will walk through your routine on stage. This event will take place in the morning of May 10. Full costumes are not needed for the rehearsal.
When on stage, please keep the following guidelines in mind for time. We will be strictly enforcing this.
- Walk-On – 30 seconds
- Performance (1-2 people) – Up to 90 seconds
- Performance (3-5 people) – Up to 2 minutes and 30 seconds
- Performance (6+ people) – Up to 3 minutes
All music/backing tracks for performances must be submitted digitally in MP3 format and in advance. No music for performances will be accepted the day of the show. You will receive additional information on submitting your music/backing tracks in your acceptance email.
When planning your time on stage, please keep in mind that there will be children in the audience. Please keep your costume and/or performance equivalent to a PG-13-rated film. No explicit sexual references, gestures, or language will be allowed. Any presentation that violates this rule will be disqualified and may be asked to leave the stage during their performance. Usage of any foul or abusive language is grounds for instant disqualification and removal from the Masquerade.
All Masquerade participants must be Anime Frontier attendees, and badges will be checked before competing.
And here are some other things to keep in mind…
- Don’t jump off the stage. The audience is also not allowed to approach the stage.
- No projectiles are to be thrown on to the stage and don’t throw anything from the stage.
- There is no adult-related content allowed on stage. Keep all performances respectful and appropriate for general audiences.
- All props, setups, and scenery must be taken down after your performance. Do not leave any items behind that can hinder the contestants after you. Don’t make a mess.
- You must be able to move on/off stage and maneuver freely in your costume without assistance. (Our stage has a ramp, and we welcome cosplayers with wheelchairs and other mobility aids. This note is specifically a recommendation against excessively bulky costumes which prevent movement.)
Sound cool? Sign up below!
Masquerades are most often on Saturday night. Anime Frontier’s Masquerade takes place on Sunday afternoon. Why’s that? We’ve all been to Masquerades that have started late or ended late. We’ve all seen cosplay contests get pushed back because other events have run long. And we’ve all left conventions after midnight because skits or judging took extra time. We want to avoid all that.
Holding our Masquerade on Sunday means turning our biggest stage over to cosplayers while Anime Frontier’s still buzzing, nothing’s going to delay the contest, and no one’s turning into a pumpkin before it wraps.
SIGN UP INFORMATION
You must sign up in advance to take part in Anime Frontier’s Masquerade. There is no registration onsite.
To sign up, complete our online registration form by MARCH 20, 2020. Groups only need to fill out ONE entry form for the entire group. Please note, there are a limited number of spots in our Masquerade and applications are reviewed before selection. We look to accommodate as many cosplayers as we can, but we can’t guarantee all applicants will be accepted to compete. All applicants will hear back from us by APRIL 10, 2020, and if you’re selected to take part, you’ll then be emailed check-in information and additional contest details.
Have any questions? Please reach out to email@example.com.
Got it? Good! Pick up some thread, duct tape, and a hot glue gun, and we’ll see you at the Masquerade!